For the student who is undecided about a major:
- The majority of the student population is undecided about choice of major.
- Many students change their major several times prior to choosing one that is right for them.
Self-exploration is the course of action for students choosing to identify a potential major. Career Services can help students explore different options for majors.
For the student who is undecided about a career path:
- Many students will choose a major but need assistance with understanding traditional and nontraditional career paths.
Students often associate the more well-known professions with their course of study and need assistance with career exploration to understand professions they did not know existed.
Students will often need assistance in realizing that the path to a particular career is not necessarily linear. A major in “X” does not limit you to a profession in “Y.
For the student who wants to gain experience or employment:
- Students may want to clarify their career goals and utilize experiential learning opportunities to confirm their choices of major and occupational interests.
Students may need assistance with developing a comprehensive job search utilizing various methods and resources.
Career Services’ resources to address students’ concerns:
- Career Services Staff: Professional staff who are skilled in career counseling and the job search are available to assist students developmentally from choosing a major to finding a job or beginning their career.
Assessments: Available to assist students with identifying their interests, personality, values, abilities and relating that information to a major or career.
Career Services website is interactive and full of information and services available to students.
The “What Can I Do With This Major?” is one feature from the site that has information about WCU majors including a direct link to the appropriate academic department.
The Non-Work Study On-Campus Student Employment Office is located in this department as well. Students who want to find a job on campus can view available positions and instructions on careers.wcu.edu, Local Area Jobs link.
Career Services Office is open from 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Special Offerings and Events:
Career Services offers career-related programs and events. Topics include: developing job search skills – resume, cover letter and reference preparation; preparing for the interview; mock interviewing through the on-line program, The Perfect Interview; Etiquette events, career fairs, and on-campus interviewing. Students should visit the website for dates and times.
Career Fairs: Several recruitment events are held annually on-campus giving students multiple opportunities to connect with potential employers.
Internships/Co-ops: Information and instruction is available to students on the importance of gaining an internship. Career Services also has resources available on-line to identify potential opportunities.
Refer students who are faced with these issues to
205 Killian Annex | 227.7133 | careers.wcu.edu