Scott Hall East
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.7234 tel
828.227.7036 fax

FAQ for Parents about Student Community Ethics

What happens if a student gets in trouble for a drug or alcohol violation?   [return to top]

Each case and every situation is different. Should a student be found responsible for a drug or alcohol violation, please refer to our recommended minimum sanctions and student conduct process to understand the possible outcomes.

If my student gets in trouble, what can I do to help?   [return to top]

Encourage the student to engage in the process. If you would like to be actively involved in the process the student must sign a FERPA waiver or provide you with the FERPA pin number to allow you access to their records.

What's a FERPA waiver/pin?   [return to top]

FERPA (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is a law that keeps student conduct records confidential unless they give you permission to access it. The DSCE has a FERPA waiver available that must be completed in the presence of a staff member.  The FERPA pin number is assigned to you by your student through their MyCat account. 


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services