It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
~ James Gordon, M.D.
The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
~ Lao Tzu 

Psychiatric Services

Sometimes psychiatric consultation is recommended in addition to ongoing counseling at Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS). When a student comes to Counseling Services with signs indicating that medication may be useful in their treatment, the CAPS counselor may request a medication consultation from either our part-time consulting psychiatric service provider or one of the physicians within  Student Health Services. If your counseling provider (clinical social worker, psychologist, or professional counselor) suspects that medical factors may be contributing to your problem or that medications might be helpful in alleviating distressing symptoms, you may utilize this medical consultation to identify these factors, including the benefits and possible risks or side effects of medication or other physical health-related contributing factors. More information is included in the WCU Psychiatric Brochure, JCPS Brochure Consent for Services for Psychatric Appointments, and consent to release information.

nurse practitioner for the Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS), and the medical staff within Western’s Health Services provide medication evaluations and consultations, and prescriptions when appropriate. Prescription assistance may also be an option through other resources.  Limited psychiatric services are available when school is in session during the academic year only; however, your counselor will assist you in identifying other medical providers in the area and/or coordinating care with physicians in your home town.

Summer Services

Counseling Services will remain open for enrolled students during the summer but will not have a psychiatrist on staff during the summer months. If you are attending summer school and want to see a psychiatrist for medications or prescription renewals, please contact a psychiatric service provider in the local area or plan on getting your medication needs met by a provider back home. If you need the names psychiatric service providers in this area, please contact the Counseling Services; or if you need names of physicians in your home county, please contact the NC Psychiatric Assocation for a list of physicians. Because it often takes more than a month to get psychiatric appointments, please call 4-6 weeks ahead to make a timely appointment during the summer if you anticipate running out of your current medication.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services