IPS Student Abroad

IPS Student Abroad

IPS Student Abroad

IPS Student Abroad

International Travel


Health and Insurance Information

Passports and Visas

International Student ID Card (ISIC)

Discount Travel/Airfare Links

Travel Protocols and Procedures

Advisories and Tips for Americans Traveling Abroad

Resources from the US State Department:

Check the weather for cities around the world

Currency converter

Student Travel from

The latest information from the Transportation Security Administration

Health and Insurance Information

Information on topics such as safe food and water, prescriptions and insurance.

Traveler's Health from the CDC

Passports and Visas


To travel abroad to almost any other country, you will need a passport. Your passport must be valid 6 months from your expected date of return.  For more information, visit the Passport Services website.

Applying for a new passport:

You can apply for a new passport at the Jackson County Justice Center, Clerk of Court office. Their hours are Wed/Thurs, 8:30am-4pm and Friday, Noon-4pm. Allow 3-6 weeks for processing.

  • A passport application form - DSP-11: Application for Passport
  • Proof of Citizenship (a certified birth certificate with a raised seal or a previous passport)
  • Proof of Identity (previous passport, driver's license or government ID)
  • Two identical 2" x 2" passport photos taken within six months
  • $97 fee (see passport form for payment options)

Renewing a passport:

If you already have a passport and that passport is your most recent one, it was issued within the past 15 years, and you were over age 16 when it was issued, you may renew your passport by mail.

  • Download form - DSP-82: Application for Passport by Mail
  • Fill it out, sign and date it and attach your most recent passport
  • Two identical 2" x 2" passport photos taken within six months

  • $67 fee (see passport form for payment options)

If your name changed since your previous passport was issued, enclose a certified copy of the court order, adoption decree, marriage certificate or divorce decree specifying another name for you to use (photocopies are not acceptable).

If your name has changed by other means, you must apply in person.

Get your passport in a hurry:

If you need your passport in a hurry, you can get an expedited passport. To do this you must either be leaving in less than 14 days, or in two to three weeks and you require foreign visas. This will cost you an extra $60 plus overnight delivery costs and you must show proof of your upcoming departure, such as plane tickets.

VISA/Foreign Entry Requirements

Many countries, including the US, require some visitors to have a Visa, as well as a passport.

For information on entry requirements for a specific country, please go to the Entry/Exit Requirements section in the Country Specific Information for that country.

For information on Visa requirements for entering the US, please go to the State Department's Visa website.

International Student ID Card (ISIC)

If you are a full-time student and at least 12 years of age, the ISIC is your passport to loads of savings on travel arrangements, accommodations, museums, cultural events, entertainment, and much more!

Learn more about the International Student ID Card

Discount Travel/Airfare Links


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services