All professional employees in public schools must hold a license for the subject or
grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold
NCDPI Online Licensure System: Applying for a License
STEP 1. Review this important information before starting.
- The NC Department of Public Instruction (DPI) licensing process is separate from your program completion and degree conferral.
- All Electronic Evidences and edTPA requirements must be satisfactorily evaluated before
you begin your online license application. Questions about these requirements should
be directed to your program coordinator.
- All WCU teacher education and school professional candidates must provide documentation
of passing scores on all relevant licensure exams prior to recommendation by WCU for
a professional educator license. Mail, email, or fax original or legible unaltered
copies of your passing score(s) to the CEAP Licensure Specialist even if you listed
WCU as a recipient of your score(s).
- LEA/IHE Certification of Teaching Capacity (CTC) - The CTC is completed at the end of Student Teaching/Internship II by student, cooperating
teacher, university supervisor, academic supervisor (if applicable), and principal.
The original, signed document is uploaded to TK20 by the University Supervisor. Students
must be rated Proficient on all criteria of the CTC before WCU will make your license
recommendation to DPI.
- If you wish information to be disclosed to prospective employers and DPI for the purpose
of employment and your teacher/school professional license, please complete and return
the Authorization for Release of Information form to the CEAP licensure specialist. Do not attach it to your online application.
- Occasionally, you will receive a job offer before you receive your license. In that
case your potential employer may ask for an eligibility or status statement. We will
gladly generate a letter for you after we have recommended you to DPI for a license.
Include in your request the name, title and school system/county of the person to
receive the letter along with their mailing, fax, or email address. Submit requests
to the CEAP licensure specialist.
- Professional Educator User Guide (Educator Access to Online System)
- Registration and Affiliation (with school system) Guide
- Exam details are subject to change. Be sure to confirm state exam requirements before
you register. Go to Pearson North Carolina Foundations of Reading | General Curriculum and Educational Testing Service (ETS) Praxis II for the most up-to-date NC SBE approved exam details. Keep in mind that exams are
offered during specific testing window dates so make plans to take them early enough
so you will have your scores when you need to apply for your license.
- Go to Licensure Exam Preparation for additional information, licensure exam preparation tips, strategies and resources
for both Praxis and Pearson exams.
- Your online application screen will time out after 15 minutes of inactivity. If you
are unable to complete your application in one sitting, click cancel to exit the application
and save your work.
- Use a personal, private email on your license application. This way you won’t need
to update your email address if you change employers.
- You must upload transcripts, applicable test scores, and pay a non-refundable processing
fee to your online application. Other attachments may include Statement of Applicant
documents (if applicable), work authorization (if not US citizen), and experience
verification (if applicable). You can attach as many documents as apply.
- It is recommended that attachments be in PDF format. There is a 2 MG size limit for
attachments so some may need to be uploaded page by page. There is no limit on how
many attachments can be uploaded. Each PAW Print ( Print Anywhere @ Western) printers
on campus enable students to scan documents. No fee is required to scan with PAW Print.
- Work Authorization: If you are not a US citizen, you are required to upload a copy
of your work authorization documentation. You are also required to have a valid US
issued social security number.
- Your application can not be submitted until you make full payment of fees. Payment
can only be made by VISA or MasterCard.
- If you don’t select the submit button, the application you created will remain on
file for 30 days. You must complete the application within 30 days or it will expire
and you will need to upload your documents again.
- You can print a PDF of your application content by selecting View PDF Summary Report
when the Fee and Summary Report page is displayed.
- Once the completed application is submitted, you cannot change information unless
you submit a new request. This may include an additional fee.
- WCU transcripts will not be issued until university accounts are paid in full and
holds are removed. Contact the One Stop Student Service Center at 828-227-7170 for account information and to resolve any issues to remove holds.
- You can request official transcripts through myWCU or from the Registrar’s Office. Transcript requests can be held until completion of current coursework and/or degree
- Transcripts for each of your degrees and any coursework you have completed not listed
on your transcript (community college or post-degree credits) need to be attached
to your application.
- International Verification - if you have earned a degree from another country. Provide
an evaluation from an international education evaluation service with a copy of a
current work authorization visa, permanent resident card or US passport. Note: For
degrees earned abroad, the transcripts must be evaluated for US equivalency and translated
into English by an education evaluation agency. One of many acceptable evaluation
agencies for foreign transcripts is International Education Evaluations (IEE). DPI will not accept translations done by the applicant.
STEP 2. Review the relevant tutorial.
In-State Initial Standard Professional Educator License
For educators applying for their initial NC teaching license (upon completion of degree
or licensure-only and MAT Phase 1) or Special Service Personnel license (School Counselor,
School Psychologist, Speech Language Pathologist, or School Social Worker).
Updating Information and Creating a New Application
For educators applying for an administrative area (School Principal or Superintendent),
clearing alternative licensure, or adding educational levels to an existing license
by program completion. Also used to add an area by test, make a name change, update
contact information, request copy of files and test scores, update work authorization,
and obtain verification of NC license.
For licensure questions or technical difficulties, contact the Licensure Section at
919.807.3310 or 800.577.7994.