ILL items may be picked up at the Circulation Desk during library open hours
Dan Wendel, Borrowing 828-227-3412
Erica Barnett, Lending 828-227-3404
Malti Turnbull, Lending 828-227-3875
Room 184 Hunter Library
ILL Office Hours:
8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Who may use Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Is my Hunter Library account the same as ILL account?
Is there a charge to use this service?
How do I request materials?
What kind of materials may I request?
How many requests can I make?
How long does it take for me to receive my requests?
How will I know that my requests have arrived?
How long may I keep ILL materials?
May I renew an ILL item?
Where do I return ILL materials?
How can I cancel a request?
What are the meanings of the statuses under Outstanding Request when I log in to Loan Shark?
What if I need an item now?
If you are a WCU student (both graduate and undergraduate), a faculty or staff member, you are eligible to use the Loan Shark service.
If you are not affiliated with WCU, and wish to borrow Hunter Library materials, you should contact the interlibrary loan office of your local public library to have them place a request on your behalf.
No. They are two separate accounts. You use your name and 920# to log into your Hunter Library account. You need a separate Loan Shark account to request materials via interlibrary loan.
It is your responsibility to keep your contact information in Loan Shark up-to-date.
There is no fee for WCU students, faculty, or staff to use this service. However, lending libraries may charge fees to Hunter Library that have an impact on whether we are able to obtain materials for you.
Log into Loan Shark and fill out an online order form.
You must provide complete citations:
- Processing requests takes longer when vital information such as: author, title (journal, book, article) is missing.
- Spell out a journal title instead of abbreviating it, e.g. "Advances in Damage Mechanics" rather than "Adv. Damage Mech".
What kind of materials may I request?
You may request materials not owned by Hunter Library or not available from UNC-Asheville or Appalachian State.
You can request the following:
Books, book chapters, journal articles.
Recently published books (within the past six months) may not be available via ILL. Often libraries don’t own or lend new books.
The following are not always available:
- Other Non-Print Media
- If you have many requests, submit them in prioritized order.
- If you are working on a large project and anticipate a large number of requests, please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at 828-227-3412.
You should plan ahead when you need to obtain materials through interlibrary loan, because the wait time can be unpredictable. Once we submit a request for your materials, it depends upon how rare an item is, how quickly the lending library processes your request, and shipping times.
- Articles are generally delivered electronically and may take as little as 1 or 2 days, but can take considerably longer.
- Books: usually 1-2 weeks
Once the requested item gets to WCU you will receive notification directed to the email address you provided when you created your Loan Shark account that it is ready to pick up.
This is determined by the library that lends us the item. Due dates are printed clearly on the yellow ILL slip attached to your item. Please request renewals in a timely manner, or return your materials by the due date.
Our ability to obtain materials through interlibrary loan is dependent on our abiding by the rules and conditions set by the lending library. If we fail to return their items to them on time, they may refuse to lend to us in the future.
Patrons who do not return the materials we borrow from other libraries on their behalf may have their Loan Shark privileges suspended or revoked.
You may request renewal of an interlibrary loan item one time so long as the library that lent it to us did not designate the item "non-renewable." To do this, log in to Loan Shark.
- Click "Stuff I have Checked Out" under the View menu on the left.
- In the list of Checked Out Items, click the transaction number of the item you want to renew.
- Click the “Renewal Request” button at the top of the page.
IF the lending library grants the renewal, a new due date will appear under “Check Request Status” within 2 business days.
Return them to the Circulation Desk on or before the due date. Please DO NOT return ILL books in the library’s outside book drop.
This is something ILL staff will have to do for you. Please contact the Interlibrary Loan Office at 828-227-3412.
- Being Processed by Your Loan Shark = Your request is being reviewed by ILL staff
- Request Sent to Potential Lenders = Other libraries are considering whether they can fill the request
- On its way to Hunter Library = The lending library has indicated that they have shipped your request to us
- Click on "Articles to Read" = Your article/book chapter has been delivered electronically. Log in to Loan Shark to view it.
- Check your email - more information needed = We need a better citation or more information to process your request. Please respond to the email sent to you by ILL staff.
- This item available through ABC Express (UNCA/ASU) = The item you requested is available from one of the other Western North Carolina Library Network schools. You could have requested this item yourself via the library catalog.
Getting materials through interlibrary loan takes time. If you are in a hurry, contact the Reference Desk at 828-227-7465 (or 866-928-5424 toll free). They may be able to help you find materials free through one of Hunter Library's online databases.