Associate Professor, Reference Librarian - Instruction/Information Literacy Coordinator
- Contemporary Fiction
- MLS - UNC Chapel Hill
- BA - English - King College
Publications and Presentations
- Carstens, T., & Buchanan, H. (2004). The future of the catalog: A user-friendly academic search engine. Technical Services Quarterly, 22(2), 37-47.
- Kornegay, B., Buchanan, H., and Morgan, H. (2005, November 1). Amazing, magic searches: Subdivisions combine the precision of the cataloger with the freewheeling style of a Googler. Library Journal, p44-46.
- Buchanan, H. & Schmidt, K. (in press). Invited article for The Balance Point column: Collectivism vs. Individualism in a Wiki World: Librarians Respond to Jaron Lanier’s Essay, “Digital Maoism: The Hazards of the New Online Collectivism.” Serials Review.
- Henderson, B. & Buchanan, H.E. (in press). The scholarship of teaching and learning: A special niche for faculty at comprehensive universities? Research in Higher Education. Posted online by SpringerLinkPublishers.
- Assessment of a library orientation for freshmen. (2004, March 18). Poster presentation at the 2004 UNC Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT) Conference, Charlotte, NC.
- Accepted panel presentation: We are all in the same boat: Public relations by committee at an academic library. Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) 13th National Conference in Baltimore, Maryland, March 29 - April 1, 2007 for ACRL. Panel members: Heidi Buchanan, Dana Edge, Eloise Hitchcock, and Brandon Robinson.
- Buchanan, H., Whitley, B., & Zanin-Yost, A (2006, October 6). Information literacy for rookies. Georgia Conference on Information Literacy.
- What is information literacy? (2005, February 23). Poster presentation at the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Faire, Western Carolina University.
- “Can men get pregnant? (March 19-April 1). Western Carolinian, 67, p. 17. An article answering a reference question (also published in the Spring 2003 issue of Hunter’s Clarion).
- Jamaican educators find library a haven. (2002, Spring). Hunter’s Clarion.
- Tales from the reference desk: Helping students find and evaluate information. (2005). Renaissance of Teaching & Learning Booklet Series, Booklet 8. Cullowhee, NC: Coulter Faculty Center for the Excellence in Teaching & Learning, Western Carolina University.