Art Days for Kids
WCU’s Art Education Club has some great activities planned for kids in 2017!
These art classes will be held in room 150 of the Bardo Art Center during Jackson
County School holidays (MLK Day) and after school on Thursdays.
Classes are open to any child age 7 years and up. Capacity for each class is limited
to 30 students. Scholarships are available for students in need. These are offered
by the Jackson County Arts Council and WCU's Art Education club.
New for 2017! Thursday Afternoon Art Classes for Kids
- $150 for 9 classes
- Thursday Afternoons from Feb. 2 to April 20, 2017
- 3:30*-5pm - Students may arrive at 3 and will have supervised outdoor/indoor play
activities + healthy snack until start time at 3:30.
- Open to Kids Ages 7+
These classes offer explorations of FINE art forms that promote critical/creative
thinking that is not typically offered in the K-8 school setting. WCU Art Education Club members prepare
and teach these classes under the supervision of Dr. Erin Tapley. The classes will
culminate in a student-prepared exhibition and reception.
- Feb 2 - Relief Printing
- Feb 9 - Contemporary QUILTING
- Feb 16 - Wax Sculpture
- Feb 23 - Geodesic Sculpture
- Mar 2 - Photograms
- Mar 16 - 3D Computer modeling or Photoshop manipulations
- Mar 23 - Special Effects Watercolors
- Mar 30 - Contemporary Basketry
- Apr 6 - Cartooning and 4pm ART SHOW (for parents/families) in Room 223
- Apr 20 - make up class for possible weather day
Community Art Workshops
WCU's Art Education Club and the Fine Arts Museum in sponsorship with WCU's ARTS and
Cultural Events (ACE) present 4 unique offering in fine arts and crafts in coincidence
with WCU's Fine Art Museum exhibition and Thursday receptions.
When: Thursday evenings from 6pm to 8pm
Cost: $20 per person per class.
Who: Adults and children over 9 with accompanying parent
Materials and instruction for these four classes in Spring 2017 are provided thanks
to the generosity of WCU’s Fine Art Museum, Arts and Cultural Events and WCU’s Art
Education Club. These ART classes are ninety minutes long and intended for WCU students
and community members who value learning through and about the Visual Arts. No previous
experience or skill is needed!
The class themes are constructed to reflect concurrent exhibits in the Fine Art Museum.
Participants are encouraged to attend the artists’ talks and receptions from 4-6pm
at the museum and then come to Room 150 for a hands-on activity that will generate
pleasing art and craft.
1. Thursday, January 19 (opening reception for Women Painters of the Southeast)
Activity: Impasto Painting
Participants will experience painting a still life with a palette knife in the style
of many Impressionists. Color mixing theories will be presented.
2. Thursday, February 9 (opening reception for Soft Diplomacy: Quilting Cultural Diplomacy in Liberia)
Activity: Piecing a Quilt Top
Participants will get to piece together a quilted pillow top and will learn about
the characteristics of different types of fibers.
3. Thursday, March 16 (opening reception/performance for Miwa Matreyek)
Activity: Creating an Animated Film
Participants will walk through a tutorial of animating simple designs via Flash computer
4. Thursday, April 20 (reception for the 49th Annual Juried Undergraduate Exhibition)
Activity: Spring Watercolor Painting
Participants will create watercolor paintings of our gorgeous spring landscape and