You have been asked to provide an IRS Tax Transcript because you were chosen for the verification process, by the Federal Processor, and you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing your FAFSA.
When is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or IRS Tax Transcript available?
Filers who are receiving a refund or do not owe tax – Your return will be processed by the IRS 2 to 3 weeks after filing electronically. Once the return is processed, you can use the IRS data retrieval tool in the FAFSA or request a tax transcript.
Filers who owe tax and pay the tax at time of filing return – Your return will be processed by the IRS 3 to 4 weeks after filing electronically. Once the return is processed, you can use the IRS data retrieval tool in the FAFSA or request a tax transcript.
Filers who owe tax and wait to pay the tax until due – Your return will not be processed by the IRS until May at the earliest or one cycle after full payment is made. Once the return is processed, you can use the IRS data retrieval tool in the FAFSA or request a tax transcript.
You can only use the IRS data retrieval tool in FAFSA or request a tax transcript after your tax return has been processed by the IRS. After you have been able to use one of these options, only then can we continue processing your application for federal financial aid.
If you chose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, or it was not available to you at the time you completed your FAFSA, you have two options:
1. Go back into your FAFSA and use the IRS Data Retrieval option (this is the quickest
way to get your tax information to us) or
2. Request a Tax Transcript from the IRS
If you were not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval you MUST request a Tax Transcript from the IRS.
If you file an amended tax return, you MUST contact the WCU Financial Aid Office for
DO NOT have transcripts sent directly to WCU Financial Aid – They must be sent to you and signed before sending to our office.
How To Obtain an IRS Federal Tax Transcript
There are a number of ways to obtain a copy of your Federal Tax Transcript from the IRS, but there are significant delays involved so please plan ahead:
- Online request at http://www.irs.gov/
- Under Tools, choose Order a Return or Account Transcript
- Take a minute to look at Step 2 – Gather your information
- Go back to Step 1 (Choose Your Transcript) and choose Tax Return Transcript (Be sure not to choose Account Transcript
- Please note: The IRS cannot process an online request if you need the transcript sent
to an address other than the one they have on file for you. See item 3 below for Form
- Telephone Request
- Automated attendant – 1-800-908-9946
- Live person (not recommended) – 1-800-829-1040 – be prepared to be on hold for awhile.
You may be able to request that the transcript be faxed to you rather than be mailed.
- Paper Request – IRS Form 4506T – MUST BE USED IF YOU MOVED SINCE FILING YOUR TAXES
Available for download at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf?portlet=103
- Visit your local IRS Office
Visit www.irs.gov/localcontacts/index.html for office locations