The WCU Packaging Philosophy begins with special consideration of all Pell Grant-eligible applicants who have submitted the FAFSA by the priority filing date of March 1st and who have submitted all initially requested documents by Apr 15th. All on-time Pell eligible applicants who meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines will be considered for preferential assistance based on need. For example, all on-time applicants who have an EFC of 0 will be evaluated equally regardless of their academic achievements (providing they meet minimum requirements), race, creed, or religious preference. All students, regardless of priority group, must meet the WCU standards of satisfactory academic progress in order to be awarded Title IV federal student aid (FSA) funds.
Since campus-based funds, including Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Perkins Loans, North Carolina Tuition Grant (NCTGR) and the Federal Work Study program (FWS), are limited, these awards will be given only to full-time students. Students with 10 or more hours will be considered full-time for campus-based funds.
1. All Pell eligible recipients who have met the preferential filing date (March 1st).
2. All Pell eligible recipients who have not met the preferential filing date will be considered for campus-base assistance if attending full-time and funds are available.
3. All on-time non-Pell eligible students can be awarded Federal Work Study based on the Packaging Guidelines Hierarchy.
4. All undergraduate applicants that are non-Pell eligible and have not met the preferential filing date will be offered Federal Direct Loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) to meet full need and cost of attendance as grade level eligibility allows.
5. All graduate applicants that are non-Pell eligible and have not met the preferential filing date will be offered a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan to meet cost of attendance as grade level eligibility allows.
6. All dependent applicants and eligible graduate students who have unmet need or cost of attendance will be offered Direct PLUS Loan funds.