Degree Offered: Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.)
Departmental Website: Elementary Education - M.A.Ed.
Program Description: The program leading to the M.A.Ed. degree in comprehensive education requires a minimum of 36 semester hours of graduate study consisting of a professional core of 12 semester hours and a concentration of 24 hours. The Elementary Education concentration leads to a recommendation for Advanced Competencies licensure from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Completion of degree requirements includes a satisfactory portfolio demonstrating advanced competencies. Candidates with current National Board Certification in the concentration area have demonstrated advanced competencies and are exempted from the required portfolio.
Location of Course Offerings: Cullowhee and Biltmore Park
- Graduate School Admission Requirements
- Program Admission Requirements
- Applicants must submit a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination (above 30th percentile) or the Miller's Analogy Test.
- 3.0 GPA
- Three letters of recommendation from former instructors or employers who are in a position to judge the applicant's aptitude for graduate study.
- Applicants must hold or be eligible for the North Carolina "A" license in elementary or middle grades education.
- Each applicant will be interviewed prior to admission.
Prerequisites: Additional prerequisite coursework may be required.