Welcome to WCU—we're glad you're a part of the Graduate School family. Please follow the checklist points below for the information you need as a newly admitted student.
___ Contact the Student Health Center or 828-227-7640) for immunization requirements.
Registration may be restricted until immunization requirements are met.
___ Contact your adviser.
Your adviser is your primary contact for advising and registration. Your advisor's name can be found in your Admission Information letter. To locate your adviser’s e-mail or phone number, search the faculty/staff directory.
___ Review the current online Graduate Catalog.
The Graduate Catalog can be found on the Graduate School website (in the RELATED INFORMATION section). You'll also find other useful information and resources.
___ Login to My Cat.
My Cat allows you to register for classes, review class schedules, check grades, view financial aid information, and pay account balances. My Cat is located at http://mycat.wcu.edu/ or from the Western Carolina University home page (http://www.wcu.edu/).
- Your username is your 9-digit student ID#.
- Your password is your 2-digit birth month, 2-digit birth date, 2-digit birth year (MMDDYY).
- If you need assistance accessing My Cat, WebCat, or your email, please contact IT Services at 866-928-7487 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
___ Register for Classes
- Go to the Registrar’s web site.
___ You must activate your WCU email account (Catamount Mail) immediately and check it regularly while enrolled. Catamount Mail is the official communication method for university/student communications including messages concerning notifications and alerts as well as course information from instructors.
To access your Catamount Mail:
- Login to My Cat and click on “Catamount Mail.”
- The first part of your WCU e-mail address is your username.
- Your initial password is your My Cat password.
- IMPORTANT: Catamount Mail is the official communication method for university/student communications including messages concerning notifications and alerts as well as course information from instructors.
___ Obtain a CatCard.
Obtain a WCU identification card (CatCard) by mailing or emailing (CatCard@email.wcu.edu) a recent photo of yourself (no hats or sunglasses) with your name, WCU student ID number, and date of birth.
- Digital photos should be submitted in JPEG or Bitmap format
- Distance/online students are not required to obtain a CatCard, but will not be able to use the library without one.
- CatCard Office, 109 Killian Annex, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC 28723; phone: 828-227-7003; Fax 828-227-7600
___ Obtain a Parking Permit.
See the Parking Services website for information.. Students taking courses at Biltmore Park should contact WCU Programs At Biltmore Park (828-654-6498).
___ Purchase your textbooks.
The Cullowhee bookstore is located on Norton Road behind the University Center on main campus. Students may also purchase textbooks online at http://books.wcu.edu/. Contact the bookstore regarding hours and availability at 866-272-4102. For specific information regarding textbook availability at Biltmore Park, please call WCU Programs at Biltmore Park (828-654-6498)
Other Information and Contacts:
- WCU Graduate School: email@example.com ; 828-227-7398 or 800-369-9854
- WCU Programs at Biltmore Park: firstname.lastname@example.org; 828-654-6498
- Educational Outreach (distance and military students): 828-227-7397
- Disability Services: 828-227-3886
Students must self identify. WCU is committed to equality of educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities.