What is Effort?
At a teaching institution employing Academic, Summer and Calendar Year faculty in various projects, effort is the time spent in:
- Administrative Activities: Lab Management, Grant Writing, Faculty Meetings/Committees
- IRB/IACUC/Biosafety, Faculty Search/Other
Why are Effort Documentation and Reporting Important?
- Effort expenditures make up a significant portion of overall sponsored program funding
- Federal audits continue to focus on effort issues and most institutional fines as well as criminal charges against faculty originate from such issues as well
- Effort management is highly complex; different groups of stakeholders have different opinions - read this document (PDF) for the views of faculty, universities and the government and some of the consequences.
- Our best course of action: knowledge of the regulations, consistency and ample documentation
You can depend upon the professionals in the Office of Research Administration to be knowledgeable about effort calculation, documentation and reporting. We will assist you in the development of your proposals and in the reporting on your funded projects to safeguard you, your department and the university from risks.
For more information or questions regarding Effort calculations, documentation and
reporting, please contact Research Administration.