- WCU faculty, staff, or students involved in Recombinant DNA (r-DNA) molecules research are required to follow established guidelines issued by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules have been published in the Federal Register (May 7, 1986, plus recent amendments).
- All research at WCU that involves r-DNA must be registered with and approved by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
- Principal investigators (PI) of any on-campus research or proposals for off-campus r-DNA research funding must submit a Memorandum of Understanding and Agreement (MUA) to the Chairperson of the IBC prior to initiation of the study.
- Extracted from University Policy 50
Useful links from the National Institute of Health Office of Biotechnology Activities:
- NIH Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Definitions & Acronyms
- Guide for rDNA Research
- IBC Roles and Responsibilities
- MUA Template
Request a Review
Please contact the Research Compliance Officer Andrea Moshier for information and to request a review of your research plan.