The Intensive English Program at Western Carolina University offers you:
- Superior quality English language instruction
- Preparation for academic study in the United States
- Individual attention to your academic needs
- Conditional Admission to WCU classes once language requirements are met
- Safe, small town, American atmosphere with a global outlook
- Immersion in English language and US culture by living, studying and learning with WCU students
- Orientation to WCU and the broader community
- Activities to help you explore the local area and broader community
- Semester long IEP that follows the same academic calendar as WCU for seamless integration in activities and schedule
- Four levels of English study: high beginner, low intermediate, high intermediate, and advanced
- Instruction and strategies in reading, writing, speaking, listening, grammar, and in special topics such as literature, film, academic research and culture
- 20+ hours per week in language instruction and activities
Each level of instruction is designed to be completed in one 15-week semester. High beginning level students can complete the program in four semesters. Other students can complete the program in less time depending upon level of English proficiency. These courses are offered on a not-for-credit basis.
IEP students may apply for conditional admission to Western Carolina University's undergraduate and graduate programs. After successfully completing the IEP, they may enter a degree program without providing a TOEFL or IELTS score to WCU.
Fall 2014 classes: August 18 - Dec 12
Spring 2015 classes: January 7 - May 1, 2015
Summer 2015 classes: May 27- August 3, 2015
- Safe, friendly campus
- Small class size (maximum 15 students per class)
- Orientation to the program and to the university
- Access to all facilities of Western Carolina University
- Opportunities to learn about American culture
- Extracurricular activities in a beautiful campus environment located in the beautiful Smokey Mountains
- Collegial learning community
IEP only or IEP with conditional admission to Bachelor's program:
- Minimum age of 18
- High school or secondary school diploma
English language requirements to be admitted directly to WCU undergraduate or graduate programs: iBT: 68 or IELTS: 6
Testing dates for iBT on campus can be found at: http://www.wcu.edu/academics/edoutreach/conted/testing-center/
Experienced faculty hold graduate degrees in language teaching and are native English.speakers. IEP students receive individual attention from a dedicated and caring faculty and staff.
Housing and Meals
WCU requires students under 21 years of age to live in residence halls on campus. Double or single occupancy rooms are equipped with furniture, utilities,
and high speed internet. Meals are served in the new campus dining hall and offer a range of food choices.
Another option for individual students which may be available is living with a host family in the local community. There are currently a small number of host families available to host students, but we are working to increase this number.
In the IEP, you may choose to live off campus and to follow WCU policy, if you are under 21 when you complete the IEP, you must move to on-campus housing. If you are accompanied by family members, housing is available only in off-campus residences.
2015 JANUARY ARRIVAL - FOR ALL NEW INTERNATIONALS
Once you know your flight details, please go to this LINK in order to inform IPS about your January 2014 Arrival
Surrounded by forested mountains, WCU’s campus in Cullowhee, North Carolina blends scenic beauty with convenient, modern facilities. Cullowhee is a small community located 4 miles from the town of Sylva, one hour from Asheville, North Carolina and two hours away by car from major cities such as Atlanta, Georgia and Knoxville, Tennessee. The nearest airport is Asheville, North Carolina. The climate in Cullowhee is temperate with four distinct seasons. Come see us -- it's beautiful here!
Cost for Fall 2014 or Spring 2015:
|University & Orientation fees:||1598|
Housing (dorm double rooms) and meals (see links below):
|3622 to 4472|
|Health insurance + 1st immunizations (student only)||558|
|Total estimated cost per 15-week semester:||
USD $9978 to 10828
There will be no refunds following registration.
Cost for Summer 2015 (9 weeks) coming soon
For program and application information, contact: email@example.com
Fall Term (August-December): deadline April 1
Spring Term (January-May): September 1
Summer Term (May-August): deadline February 1
Hilary Lindler, IEP Student Advisor (Admissions)
Jill Cargile, Director of the IEP
International Programs and Services
109 Camp Bldg.
69 East University Way
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723