What is Academic Integrity?
Honesty is an important part of the education process and needs to be maintained to make college worth more than a degree alone. WCU created the Academic Integrity Policy to uphold this standard, focusing on four main offenses that threaten the quality of student education:
Cheating- The use or attempted use of unauthorized materials, information, or study aides in any academic exercise
Plagiarism- Representing the words or ideas of someone else in one’s own academic work without proper citations
Fabrication- Creating or falsifying information or citations
Facilitation- Helping or attempting to help the commission of a violation of the Academic Integrity Policy
The intent of Academic Integrity Support:
Academic Integrity Support helps to detect and prevent offenses using two important methods:
1. Consultation- Instructional developers at the Coulter Faculty Commons work with faculty members and graduate teaching assistants to encourage academic honesty through course assignment and design
2. SafeAssign- A plagiarism identification service offered through Blackboard to discourage dishonesty and educate students on how to avoid committing plagiarism
What is SafeAssign?
SafeAssign is a tool that compares student papers with different databases to detect unoriginal content and help students understand copyright laws and regulations. This service is provided to faculty and staff using Blackboard to prevent unauthorized use of copyrighted materials and avoid unintentional violations of the Academic Integrity Policy.
Academic Integrity Support offers several benefits to help maintain the truthfulness of education:
- A well constructed course discourages academic dishonesty
- Properly written assignments prevent students from needing to be dishonest
- SafeAssign makes easier for instructors to detect plagiarism in student work
- Preventing unintentional violations of copyright laws makes research more meaningful
- Educating students on the dynamics of plagiarism makes it less likely to happen
- Using proper citations is an important skill for all types of research
Academic Integrity Support is offered to all faculty and graduate teaching assistants. Students seeking help in understanding the Academic Integrity Policy should contact the Writing and Learning Commons or the Department of Student Ethics.
The staff at the Coulter Faculty Commons helps implement SafeAssign and integrate academic honesty into course structure and design. The staff in the Department of Student Ethics and the Writing and Learning Commons can help students better understand the WCU Academic Integrity Policy and prevent offenses.
Hunter Library: (828) 227-7485 or (866) 928-5424
Writing and Learning Commons: (828) 227-2274
CFC: (828) 227-7196
CFC/ SafeAssign: (828) 227-2930
Student Community Ethics: (828) 227-7234