What is MountainRise?
MountainRise is an internationally peer-reviewed journal that focuses on sharing teaching related experiences and research involving concepts from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL).
This electronic SoTL journal helps educators publicize discoveries that can improve all forms of education. MountainRise encourages a well connected educational community that nourishes more innovative teaching techniques and helps expand current methods.
To accomplish this goal MountainRise publishes five types of writing:
- Research findings: Essays that explain, emphasize, and argue the processes and results of teaching experiments and how different instructional methods impact learning
- Reflections: Shorter pieces that express personal feelings on education and the concepts of SoTL
- Book Reviews: Brief articles that review the scholarly value of books related to teaching and learning
- Poetry: Original poems that focus on the processes and effects of education
- Peak Responses: Small paragraphs that convey readers’ reactions to previously published articles
One of the central concepts of SoTL is the importance of encouraging open communication between members of the academic community. The free exchange of thoughts and information in SoTL journals benefits education in several ways:
- Educators can build on the discoveries of others to make common methods better
- New techniques can be shared and used in different settings
- The educational experiences of others can help scholars develop new ideas
- Knowing the successes and failures of other educators helps prevent unnecessary mistakes
- Students can benefit from academic experiments conducted in other parts of the world
MountainRise is viewable free online at: http://mountainrise.wcu.edu.
For more information or submission guidelines visit: http://mountainrise.wcu.edu. For other questions please contact:
Laura Cruz: (828) 227-2093 or email@example.com