Chapter 33-Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Apply to use this benefit at www.gibill.va.gov or complete the paper version VA form 22-1990.
- Go to military.wcu.edu and complete the “Military Education Benefits Notification” form found in the purple box on the left hand side of the page.
- Provide a copy of your application and/or your certificate of eligibility to the certifying official.
- The VA will pay the school directly for the tuition and fees. Only the instate rate
is approved. The VA does NOT pay the out of state tuition and fee rate.
There will be an estimate put on the student’s account for the amount we expect to receive from the VA for tuition and fees only. This is just an estimate and may be adjusted based on what the VA actually pays the school.
- With the exception of instate tuition and fees, ALL charges at the school are the responsibility of the student and due at the regular due dates. This includes housing and meal plans.
- Chapter 33 does pay a housing allowance. It is paid directly to the student on a monthly basis. The VA pays at the beginning of the month for the previous month.
- If this is the first time you are using this benefit, please remember it can take the VA up to 12 weeks to process your certification once it is submitted. You may not receive your housing allowance until mid to late semester. Budget accordingly.
- If you have used this benefits previously at another school, please complete VA from 22-1995 and provide a copy to the certifying official.
- Chapter 33 does pay a book stipend. It is paid directly to the full time student once in the fall and once in the spring.
- If you are due a refund, please keep in mind we can not refund you monies we have not yet received. Therefore, all or part of your refund may be delayed until the funds arrive from the VA. You should expect these funds to arrive mid to late semester. Budget accordingly.
- The regulations for chapter 33 are complex and the benefits varies based on many different factors. Contact the VA directly for information on your specific benefits. 1.888.442.4551
Please contact Briana Ford, certifying official, with any questions or concerns you may have. 828.227.3074 or email@example.com
**Please note: this general information applies to Western Carolina University procedures only. Other schools may have different requirements.
***VA regulations and Western Carolina University procedures are subject to change without prior notice.