Chapter 35-Dependent's Education Assistance
- Apply to use this benefit at www.gibill.va.gov or complete the paper version VA form 22-5490.
- Go to military.wcu.edu and complete the “Military Education Benefits Notification” form found in the purple box on the left hand side of the page.
- Provide a copy of your application and/or your certificate of eligibility to the certifying official.
- This benefits is paid directly to the student on a monthly basis. The VA pays at the beginning of the month for the previous month.
- All charges at the school are the responsibility of the student and due at the regular due dates.
- If this is the first time you are using this benefit, please remember it can take the VA up to 12 weeks to process your certification once it is submitted. Budget accordingly.
- If you have used this benefit previously at another school, please complete VA form 22-5495 and provide a copy to the certifying official.
Please contact Briana Ford, certifying official, with any questions or concerns you may have. 828.227.3074 or email@example.com
**Please note: this general information applies to Western Carolina University procedures
only. Other schools may have different requirements.
***VA regulations and Western Carolina University procedures are subject to change without prior notice.