Resources for Distance and Online Teaching Faculty - Table of Contents
- Who do I contact to see if all personnel paperwork is in? Initially you should confirm with the Academic Department Administrative Assistant. They will be receiving and forwarding your paperwork to Human Resources or Faculty Forms
- Where is my class being held and what is the first day of class? Distance and Online Program Schedule, Banner/Blackboard, or call Educational Outreach at 828-227-7397.
- How do I send my students an email before the start of class? Using MyCat and clicking on your course link, you can communicate with all students enrolled in your course by using the email function found at the bottom of the page.
- How do I get a roster? Using MyCat and clicking on your course link, you can see and print a current class roster either summary list or detailed class list.
- What is Blackboard? WebCat is the Blackboard Vista Internet Course Management System at Western Carolina University.
- Need more info on using Blackboard? Visit Blackboard Support.
- How do I make sure a textbook has been ordered? Bookstore - Textbook orders
- How do I request a WCU car or van for transportation? Motor Pool - must have Banner ID and pin # to access
- How do I request off-campus room / media equipment / computer lab? You must fill out the “Room and Equipment Request for Off-Campus Usage” form and return to Educational Outreach, Attn: Tony Miller, 138 Camp Building, Cullowhee, NC 28723. Request Form
- How do I get faculty e-mail set up, password set up for My Cat for Faculty, and WebCat? Information Technology Help Desk
- What other teaching resources are available? Online Help Desk
- Additional professional development opportunities
- Syllabus Resources; see also Workshops and Training
- Directory for Distance and Online Program Directors/Administrators
Getting the Class Organized
Distance Classes are administered under the same university and departmental policies as On-Campus Residential classes.
- Where is the academic calendar for WCU? (Be sure to compare the academic calendar for the community college campus where you are teaching. If there are differences, please contact Educational Outreach to make sure facilities are available/open on holidays and breaks ) Academic Calendar - Registrar
- How do I report first and second week attendance? Faculty/Advisor Information Guide Note: All WCU courses, including Distance Learning programs/classes are expected to meet regularly. Students should sign-in and be actively engaged in the learning process from the beginning of the semester forward.
- How do I drop a student from my class that is not attending? Instructor initiated drop for non-attendance: Registrar
- What library resources are available for distance learning students and faculty? Hunter Library resources are available to all WCU students. Library Teaching Resources
- What learning resources are available to students on-line? Library Resources, and writing resources at the Writing and Learning Commons.
Responding to student questions
- Who is my advisor? Advising
- How do I contact about my bill? Billing
- Who do I contact about my financial aid? Financial Aid
- Directory for Distance and Online Program Directors and Administrators
- Where can I get help with WebCat?
- Office hours
- How can I use the Hunter Library? Hunter Library Resources for Distance Learners
- How do I order a textbook? Bookstore - ordering textbooks
- How do students register, drop/add, contact an advisor, or change their major? Registrar's student guide/resource page
- How do I process a withdrawal? Registrar - Forms for students
- Drop/add dates
Concluding the Course
- How do students fill out a faculty evaluation? Course Evaluation Form (student info); Course Evaluation (faculty info)
- When do I report grades? Reporting 5 week, Midsemester, Incompletes and Final Grades
- Faculty/Advisor Information
Additional On-Campus Resource Information
- Faculty/Staff Directory
- Human Resources
- Human Resources Handbook and Policies
- F/T Faculty Handbook
- P/T Faculty Handbook