Honors students showing off their recently acquired medallions.
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” ~Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu
Over 1,400 students embark upon The Honors Path by joining The Honors College at Western Carolina University. The Honors Path is designed for students to graduate from WCU with the best academic profile possible. Honors students maximize the educational opportunities WCU offers by connecting their co-curricular activities to their post-graduation plans. Upon acceptance to the Honors College:
- Many students reside amongst fellow Honors students in Balsam Hall, home of The Honors College and an in-house advising center.
- First-year Honors students begin with the Honors Forum, and continue with Honors courses and Honors contracts.
- Students may choose to participate in service learning projects related to his/her choice of major(s)/minor(s)
- Students may consider studying abroad to gain global perspective
- Honors College students may choose to participate in a funded undergraduate research project, obtain an interdisciplinary Special Studies degree, or apply to one of the several Pre-Professional Programs.
- Honors students consider distinguished post-graduate fellowships and scholarships
- Work in regional, national, or international internships via Career Services
- Honors students also may choose to hone their leadership skills through opportunities such as The Honors College Board of Directors. In partnership with the off-campus Honors College Advisory Board, this group works alongside the dean to govern the Honors College.
- Upon completion of their academic requirements, Honors College students wear the Honors Medallion and graduate with The Honors College Diploma.