The most important Career Topics
Articles of Interest
To Beat the Market, Hire a Philosopher
“Not your typical mutual funds manager,” William H. Miller III attributes his “ability to connect the dots where other people don't even see the dots" to a major in philosophy.
Why do so many philosophy majors excel in law, business, education, the ministry, and medicine?
According to a recent study:
- On the LSAT, philosophy and religion majors outscored majors in economics, business, international relations, and public administration.
- On the GMAT, philosophy majors scored higher than majors in economics, statistics, accounting, business, management, or marketing.
- 48% of philosophy majors who applied were accepted to medical school, compared with 43% of biochemistry majors, 42% of pre-med majors, 35% of biology majors, 25% of nursing majors, and only 22% of pharmacy majors.
Philosophy performance on the GRE (PDF link)
Philosophy performance on the LSAT (PDF flyer link)
What happens to Western’s philosophy and religion majors?
WCU Philosophy graduates have been accepted at top-flight graduate and professional schools, including the University of Georgia, Villanova, Emory, and Kansas; Rutgers, Case Western Reserve, and Duke University Law Schools; and seminaries from Vanderbilt to Liberty to Lutheran Theological Southern. They’ve also worked as a building contractor, a counselor, a community service director, a legislative aide for a NC state representative, a middle school math and science teacher, a personal banker at Bank of America, an IT specialist, a professional journalist, an emergency medical technician, among a host of other professions.
Learn more about careers for philosophy majors.
Check out the American Philosophical Association (APA) career guides and resource booklets, available online.
Learn more about graduate programs in philosophy.
Check out the American Philosophical Association (APA) 2013 Guide to Graduate Programs in Philosophy (PDF), available online.
Who else majors in philosophy?
As the following list shows, philosophy majors are ready for anything:
- Steve Allen (writer & comedian)
- Amartya Sen (winner of the 1998 Nobel Prize in Economics)
- William Bennett (former drug czar & NEH leader, Book of Virtues)
- William Jefferson Clinton (President)
- Woody Allen (director & comedian)
- Mary Higgins Clark (mystery writer)
- Gene Siskel (movie reviewer)
- Philip K. Dick (on whose science-fiction classic Blade Runner is based)
- John Elway (quarterback, Denver Broncos)
- Ivan Frolov (editor of PRAVDA)
- Rebecca Goldstein (novelist & MacArthur prize recipient)
- Harrison Ford (actor)
- Vaclav Havel (former President of Czechoslovakia)
- Mark Hulbert (financial columnist for FORBES magazine)
- Carl Icahn (business person & corporate raider, bought TWA)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. (civil rights leader)
- Bruce Lee (martial arts & actor)
- Steve Martin (comedian & actor)
- Kate Millett (author of Sexual Politics)
- Iris Murdoch (novelist)
- Freeman Patterson (photographer, author of The Art of Seeing)
- Neil Peart (drummer for rock group Rush)
- Pope John Paul II (vicar of Christ)
- Mick Schmidt (former Philadelphia Philly)
- John Silber (former president of Boston University)
- Susan Sontag (essayist)
- Dave Thomas (SCTV)
- Alex Trebeck (Jeopardy host)
- David Foster Wallace (novelist & MacArthur prize recipient)
- Moses Znaimer, (Owner of CITY-TV and MUCH-MUSIC, Toronto)
How can I get a job in the department or on campus?
To search for current open positions in the offices and departments at Western Carolina University, create an account at the online application site: Employment at WCU.