Introduction to Abstract Algebra
Revised: January 2013
Groups, rings, and fields. Prerequisite: Math 250. Three semester hours.
1. To provide a knowledge of basic algebraic structures (groups, rings, and fields).
2. To provide practice is proof writing techniques.
3. To prepare students for higher level mathematics courses.
I.N. Herstein, Abstract Algebra, third edition, Wiley 1999
Grading procedures and factors influencing course grade are left to the discretion of individual instructors, subject to general university policy.
Attendance policy is left to the discretion of individual instructors, subject to general university policy.
- Chapter 1: Things Familiar and Less Familiar (selected topics)
- Chapter 2: Groups
- Chapter 3: The Symmetric Group
- Chapter 4: Ring Theory
- Chapter 5: Fields