The Cullowhee Creek Environmental Field Station (CCEFS) is an on-campus site developed to facilitate an investigative and interdisciplinary approach to learning in introductory through advanced level classes in the geology and physics programs.
The project goals are to
(1) enhance student involvement in investigative experiences at all academic levels;
(2) increase student involvement in quantitative data collection and analysis using industry standard tools and equipment;
(3) enhance student awareness of the interdisciplinary nature of learning through integrated projects, courses, and collaboration;
(4) emphasize connections between theory and application, linking to the existing knowledge base of students and using the local environment and their relationship to it as a point of reference; and
(5) develop a well studied, on-campus site from which to evaluate regional environmental problems.
This project was developed with the support of National Science Foundation (NSF) Award # 9950260 and Western Carolina University. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
For assistance or inquiries contact Mark Lord.