Department of Geosciences and Natural Resources
NRCM Program Director; Associate Professor, Natural Resource Conservation and Management
Office Address: Stillwell 341
Areas of Interest:
Silviculture, forest ecology, sustainable resource management
- NRM 140: "Natural Resource Conservation and Management"
- NRM 210: "Methods in Natural Resource Management"
- NRM 253: "Forest Resource Measurements"
- NRM 420: "Soil Genesis and Classification"
- NRM 440: "Integrated Resource Management"
- NRM 451: "Foundations of Silviculture"
- NRM 452: "Forest Management"
- Ph.D. Forestry, University of Minnesota, 1990
- M.S. Soil Science, Montana State University, 1981
- B.S. Forestry, University of Montana, 1977
Recent Publications & Presentations:
Bates, Peter and Dean Simon. First year results of a prescribed burn in a high elevation red oak stand. (Poster) 3rd Fire in eastern oak forests conference: Learning from experience. Carbondale, Illinois. May 20-22, 2008.
Bates, Peter and Rob Lamb. 2008. Forest Stewardship Plan for the Waynesville Watershed. (Available online at http://www.townofwaynesville.org/content/view/374/347/)
Bates, P.C., J.Hagan, J. Miller, and T. Martin. Developing forest sustainability indicators for a southern Appalachian watershed. (Poster) Society of American Foresters National Convention. Portland, Oregon. October 23-26, 2007.