Department of Geosciences and Natural Resources
Associate Professor, Geology
Office Address: Stillwell 335
Areas of Interest:
- Wetland Ecology
- Organic Geochemistry
- Quaternary Climate Change
GEOL 140: "Investigations in Environmental Geology" GEOL 150: "Methods in Geology" GEOL 191: "Geology, Landscapes, and the Human Psyche" GEOL 455: "Wetlands" GEOL 491: "Environmental Geochemistry" GEOL 491: "Global Climate Change"
- Ph.D., University of Tennessee, 2005
- M.S. University of Maine, 2001
- B.S. Florida State University, 1999
• Tanner, B.R., Kinner, D.A., Griffith, A.D., Young, R.S., and Sorrell, L.M., In Press, Presence of Arundinaria gigantea (rivercane) on Numerous Non-wetland Sites Suggests Improper Classification of the Species, Wetlands Ecology and Management.
• Wilson, K.R., Kelley, J.T., Tanner, B.R. and Belknap, D.F., 2010, Examining North-Temperate Salt-Marsh Geologic Records: Determining Origin of and Defining a Unique Stratigraphic Signature for Salt Pools of Six Maine Salt Marshes, U.S.A., Journal of Coastal Research v. 26, p. 1007-1026.
• Song, X., Tanner, B.R., and Neff, K.E., 2010, Exploring Possibilities for Using UV/Vis and Fourier –Transform Infrared Spectroscopy to Directly Differentiate Soil Organic Matter in a Soil Profile, Spectroscopy Letters v. 43, p. 561-566.
• Tanner, B.R., Kelley, J.T, Uhle, M.E., Mora, C.I., Lane, C., Schuneman, P.J., and Allen, E.S., 2010, Comparison of Bulk and Compound-Specific d13C Analyses and Determination of Carbon Sources to Salt Marsh Sediments Using n-Alkane Distributions (Maine, USA), Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science v. 86, p. 283-291.
• Griffith, A.D., Kinner, D.A., Tanner, B.R., Moore, A., Mathews, K.G., and Young, R.S., 2009, Nutrient and Physical Soil Characteristics of River Cane Stands, Western North Carolina, Castanea, v. 74, p. 224-235.
• Tanner, B.R., Uhle, M.E., Kelley, J.T., and Mora, C.I., 2007, C3/C4 Variations in Salt Marsh Sediments: An Application of Compound Specific Isotopic Analysis of Lipid Biomarkers to Late Holocene Paleoenvironmental Research, Organic Geochemistry v. 38, p. 474-484.
• Tanner, B.R., Perfect, E., and Kelley, J.T., 2006, Fractal Analysis of Maine’s Glaciated Shoreline Tests Four Compartment Coastal Classification Scheme, Journal of Coastal Research v. 22, p. 1300-1304.