- English Education (B.S.Ed.) & English Studies Pedagogy (B.A.)
- English - Literature Concentration
- English - Motion Picture Studies Concentration
- English - Professional Writing Concentration
- Minor in English
- Minor in Literature
- Minor in Professional Writing
- Minor in Creative Writing
- Minor in Film Studies
- Writing, Rhetoric, and Critical Studies Program (ENGL 101 & 202)
- Minor in TESOL/TESOL Add-On License
What can you do with an English major or minor? English isn’t just for teachers (though WCU English Education students have outstanding placement rates). Our graduates are journalists (without journalism degrees), lawyers, body-builders, web designers, poets and prose writers, bankers, children’s authors, technical editors, NASCAR publicists, and museum curators. English can take you where you want to go.
Live your dreams now! At WCU you can publish creative writing, present professional research at national conferences, intern in Chapel Hill or Washington, DC, or rub elbows with famous writers at our renowned Spring Literary Festival. Try your hand at a novel or a screenplay. Honors English students publish the annual Imagine Magazine, and our professional writers produce real-world web pages and applications.
English majors lead the university and the nation in service, undergraduate research, and community engagement.
Who will you study with?
Our professors are not just experts, they’re enthusiasts. They’re not just renowned writers and thinkers like novelist Ron Rash, writer Pam Duncan, and eco-colonialist Laura Wright. They’re banjo players, bikers, Trekkies, actors, marathoners, bloggers, activists, and chefs. Whether your passion is Hawthorne or Heinlein, Garcia Marquez or graphic novels, irony or Iron Chef, you’ll find a kindred spirit here.
Thinking of majoring? Learn more about our undergraduate concentrations:
- English Education (B.S.Ed.) and our coordinating B.A. in English Studies Pedagogy
- English - Literature(B.A.)
- English - Motion Picture Studies (B.A.)
- English - Professional Writing (B.A.)
If you enjoy writing, love reading or watching movies, or just know the value of clear writing and communication in the workplace, consider a dual major or minor. English minors, including our new minor in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL), improve any portfolio.
Try a double major or minor:
- English Minor
- Literature Minor
- Creative Writing Minor
- Professional Writing Minor
- Film Studies Minor
- TESOL Minor/TESOL Add-On License