Joining a student organization is a great way to get involved with people who share your interests. There are a number of options available.
Construction Management Club
- open to all CM students at any time
- provides opportunities and resources for students planning to pursue careers in the construction industry and related fields
- oversees student chapters of the following organizations:
Associated Building Contractors
Associated General Contractors
National Association of Home Builders
For more information, contact faculty adviser Gary Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sigma Lambda Chi, WCU, XI IV Chapter
Membership is by invitation, and candidates must have:
- completed the equivalent of two years of study toward a degree
- obtained an overall 3.5 GPA
- studied at the present institution for the preceding six months
- participated in one or more extracurricular activities
- demonstrated leadership, character and personality traits that give promise of reflecting credit upon Sigma Lambda Chi
- worked in some phase of construction or its allied fields
- received an affirmative vote by secret ballot of three-fourths of the chapter's active members
Eligible students are contacted by letter in the fall semester. To participate, fill out and return the application that is enclosed in your letter of invitation. For additional information, contact the CM office at 227-2201 or visit the Sigma Lambda Chi website at http://slc-intl.org/.
At WCU, students are active in a full range of social and service activities, including intramurals and club sports, Greek life, student chapters of political and religious organizations, physical fitness, theater and musical performances and much more. The university calendar provides a list of activities on campus.
Remember that keeping in touch with professionals in your field is an excellent way to hear about future employment opportunities. Consider participating in professional associations such as the American Institute of Constructors or the Associated General Contractors Young Professionals. You may also want to use websites such as www.linkedin.com for your professional connections.
Visit the School
If you would like to know more about CM student organizations, majors in construction management or careers in the construction industry, contact the Department of Construction Management or visit the Kimmel School.