Social Work Field Information

School Social Work or Child Welfare Placements

Students who anticipate employment as a school social worker or as a child protection social worker in a Department of Social Services (DSS) should note the following requirements:

School Social Work

School social work practice in North Carolina requires certification granted by the state Department of Public Instruction. In order to obtain certification, a student must have a degree in social work from a university program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, must have completed an approved school social work course, and must have satisfactorily completed an internship in a school setting. For additional information, contact Professor Rebecca Lasher.

Child Welfare

Students must take SOCW 426: "Child Welfare" and complete a supplemental online pre-service training workshop in order to have a field placement as a child protective service worker. The course and the workshop, along with the CPS internship, will satisfy NC state law that mandates 72 hours of pre-service training before any child protection work can be done. Students who complete a field placement as a child protection worker are usually given priority for employment.

Students may be employed as child welfare workers by Departments of Social Services without doing a field placement and without taking SOCW 426 as long as they have a bachelor’s degree. However, they may be employed at a lower level than students who have completed the child welfare course, the workshop and the internship.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services