MSW Admissions Requirements:
These following requirements are for admission to the regular full- or part-time Master of Social Work (MSW) Program at Western Carolina University:
- GRE scores no older than five years: Unsatisfactory scores may be offset by other exceptionally strong components of the application on a case by case basis
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework, or a 2.85 on a 4.0 scale cumulatively
- Satisfactory score (combined score of 286 or above preferred) on the verbal and quantitative section and 3.5 or above on the writing section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Adequate undergraduate preparation (18 semester hours) with a range of studies in the liberal arts, humanities, physical sciences, diversity, and behavioral sciences
- Some Human Services-related experience, including volunteer work desirable
Western Carolina’s Department of Social Work is seeking applicants who demonstrate personal and professional commitment to the values of the social work profession.
Consideration for admission will be given to those applicants who exemplify the greatest potential for successful scholarship through their past academic and/or work experiences.
The Master Degree in Social Work (MSW) Program requires 60 hours (two years) of graduate coursework beyond the bachelor degree from an accredited college or university.
Only complete application packets will be considered.
MSW Graduate Application Checklist:
_____ Graduate School Application
_____ Official GRE Scores: Sent directly to the Graduate School
_____ Official transcripts: Send directly to the Graduate School
_____ 3 academic and/or professional recommendations
_____ Professional resume
_____ Personal Narrative Statement
_____ List of liberal arts courses taken as an undergraduate study
_____ Criminal Record Statement
_____ Nonrefundable $50.00 application fee
_____ Graduate Assistantship Application (optional)
_____ Application for Chancellor’s Fellowship or Graduate Study Grant (optional)
- Submit GRE scores to the Graduate School
- Supplemental Materials (Word)
- Non-refundable $50 application fee
Send all information to:
110 Cordelia Camp Bldg
69 East University Way
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723