If you currently hold a Bachelor's degree (or higher) from an accredited institution,
you have MET all academic requirements for WCU except for prerequisites for the nursing
major. The table below identifies prerequisite requirements for the nursing major
at WCU and North Carolina Community College (NCCC) equivalents.
If you took the prerequisites in another state, or from a 4-year institution and have questions about the equivalency, please contact Jessica Shirley, Director of Student Services at email@example.com.
|WCU Course & Title||Credit Hours
|BIO 291 - Anatomy and Physiology I||4 hours
|BIO 165 or 168 Anatomy and Physiology I|
|BIO 292 - Anatomy and Physiology II||4 hours
|BIO 166 or 169 Anatomy and Physiology II|
|ENVH 260/261 - Etiology of Infectious
Disease (formerly HSCC 260)
|BIO 175, 176 or 275 Microbiology|
|CHM 132 - Survey of Chemistry||4 hours
|CHM 131 and 131A or 151 General Chemistry|
|CHM 133 - Survey of Chemistry||4 hours
|CHM 132 Organic and Biochemistry|
|PSY 150 - General Psychology||3 hours||PSY 150 - General Psychology|
|ND 338 - Normal & Therapeutic Nutrition||3 hours||Taught through WCU online each Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.|
|NSG 101 - Introduction to Nursing||1 hour||WCU only - Taught online during the Summer semester and face-to-face on the main WCU campus during Spring and Fall semesters.|
|NSG 346 - Pathophysiology||3 hours||Taught face-to-face at Biltmore Park each Summer semester and face-to-face on the
main WCU campus each Spring and Fall semesters.
NSG 346 course equivalents are reviewed on an individual basis. Click here to review a list of pre-approved NSG 346 equivalents available online through various universities nationwide.
- Students wishing to complete a prerequisite at another institution must first submit a course description for review to determine equivalency eligibility. Email the course name and description to Dr. Jessica Shirley: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- General Psychology or Introduction to Psychology is required for the nursing major. Abnormal or Developmental Psychology are NOT considered for course equivalency.
- At present, there is no time requirement/limit for the length of time between when a prerequisite was taken and application to the nursing major.
- When you obtain transcripts from previous institutions, it is recommended that you obtain a personal copy for your records. You will need to submit a set of official transcripts from ALL institutions with your WCU application and an additional set with your nursing application.
- Visit the WCU Course Equivalency Look-Up Tool website for additional information: