CLICK to follow a Health Education alumni on her post graduate internship experience in India!
Health educators design, implement, and manage health education programs for individuals and communities in order to promote the benefits of having a healthy lifestyle. These programs focus on prevention through the use of educating the public on various health topics including:
- the importance of proper nutrition
- the health benefits of exercise
- how to avoid contracting sexually-transmitted diseases
- prenatal care
- the health dangers of alcohol and tobacco
Employment OpportunitiesHealth educators are employed in many different settings with many different roles. Some examples include:
- Medical care facilities where they educate patients on their diagnosis
- College and universities where they focus on educating young adults about the advantages of having a healthy lifestyle
- Schools where they serve as health teachers
- The public health sector where they provide community-based education and policy implementation
- Within the non-profit and private industries
Did you know ...
Employment of health educators is expected to grow by 18%, which is faster than the average for all occupations through 2018
Median annual wages of health educators in May 2008 were $44,000,
with the lowest 10% earning less than $26, 210, the middle 50% earning between $33,170 and $60, 810 and the highest 10% earning more than $78, 260
Those individuals with advanced degrees can expect to earn the highest wages while also having the greatest amount of success in securing a job in that currently many employers are seeking out health educators with graduate degrees
Follow Marianne Schroeder's Journey in India!
Class of 2011, MHS Health Education
Marianne is currently completing an exciting post graduate internship in India working in health clinics. She is creating a training document for other interns, "Reality Check 101," as well as training medical workers in the clinic on basic first aid practices. Her blog is full of stories of her work, education, and travels across India. If interested in the link, please email Dr. Hollis at firstname.lastname@example.org.