Students familiarize themselves with athletic training equipment.
Criteria for Provisional AdmissionStudents are eligible for provisional admission to the Athletic Training Program during their first semester at WCU. Application deadline for provisional admission is 5 pm on September 1.
1. Enrollment in ATTR 150 "Introduction to Athletic Training"
2. Successful Completion of Application for Provisional Admission including:
- WCU ATEP physical examination form (Completed after June 1 of application year)
- Immunization record (reviewed by a physician) This must be transferred to the WCU ATEP physical examination form (above).
- Hepatits B vaccination series (initiated) or signed waiver
- Hepatitis B titer or signed waiver
- Verification of Negative TB Test or Negative Chest X-ray (Completed after June 1 of application year)
- Documented history of Chicken Pox (as documented by physician, proof of varicella antibodies, or varicella vaccination)
- Criminal background check (information will be given during ATTR 150)
- Signed technical standards
- Signed confidentiality statement
Criteria for Full AdmissionFull admission into the Athletic Training Program promotes quality education and ensures exceptional opportunities for hands-on learning under the supervision of a certified athletic trainer. Full admission to the program typically occurs at the completion of the student's third semester at WCU. Application deadline for full admission to the ATEP is December 15.
1. Successfully complete the following pre-requisite courses with a a grade of C+ or higher:
a. ATTR 150 "Introduction to Athletic Training"
b. ATTR 210 "Clinical Anatomy & Biomechanics"
2. Successfully complete the following pre-requisite courses with a grade of C+ or higher in four of the five additional courses with no prerequisite courses below a grade of C:
a. ATTR 183 "Introduction to Clinical Education"
b. ATTR 265 "Clinical Physiology"
c. ATTR 221 "Therapeutic Modalities I"
d. EMC 240 "Introduction to Emergency Medical Care"
e. ATTR 283 "Clinical Education I"
3. Overall GPA of 2.75 or higher
4. Pre-requisite GPA of 2.75 or higher
5. Successful Completion of Application for Full Admission
6. Endorsement of WCU ATEP Faculty