WCU Student Ensembles
Instrumental and vocal ensembles
What’s Going On?
Calendar of Music Events
NOTE: Beginning in the Fall semester 2010, the School of Music will offer the Bachelor of Music with a concentration in music education.
- Students entering a music education program in Fall 2010 and thereafter will receive the B.S.Ed. degree as second degree, conferred upon completion of the B.M. in music education. For information on the new degree program, see the 2010-11 Undergraduate Catalog.
- Students who entered a music education program prior to Fall 2010 may complete either the B.S.Ed. program as described in the 2009-10 Undergraduate Catalog, or the new B.M. in music education as described in the 2010-2011 catalog. If you are completing the older program, see your advisor about how changes to the Professional Education Sequence may affect you.
The Bachelor of Music with a concentration in music education (B.M.) and Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.Ed.) degrees provide you with the thorough training necessary to be a successful music educator in the public schools of North Carolina and the region. The new program includes seven semesters of lessons, courses in teaching the various musical instruments and voice, music education methods and materials, and a semester of student teaching. The School offers two concentrations within this degree program.
The Instrumental Music concentration prepares students to teach beginning band, concert band, and marching band in middle school and high school.
The Choral/General Music concentration prepares students for a career in teaching general music at the elementary school level or choral music at the middle- or high-school level.
- Read the major, concentration, and elective requirements (current catalog)
- Read the catalog course descriptions (in the Course Filter box, select prefix “MUS”)
- Read the eight-semester plan for the B.M./B.S.Ed. Instrumental Music Education concentration
- Read the eight-semester plan for the B.M./B.S.Ed. Choral/General Music Education concentration
Certificate in Music Technology: Music education majors who are interested in gaining additional experience with music technology may choose to complete the Certificate in Music Technology.
For a quick look at the various music curricula, please follow this link to see the Music Degree Checklists.
Our graduates enjoy an excellent rate of placement into teaching positions. The B.M./B.S.Ed. program is jointly administered with the College of Education and Allied Professions.