What’s Going On?
- The Instrumental Music concentration prepares students to teach beginning band, concert band, and marching band in middle
school and high school.
- The Choral/General Music concentration prepares students for a career in teaching general music at the elementary school level or choral music at the middle- or high-school level.
NOTE: Candidates for the Bachelor of Music with a concentration in music education (B.M.) also receive the Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.Ed.) degree.
- Read the major, concentration, and elective requirements (current catalog)
- Read the catalog course descriptions (in the Course Filter box, select prefix “MUS”)
- Read the eight-semester plan for the B.M./B.S.Ed. Instrumental Music Education concentration
- Read the eight-semester plan for the B.M./B.S.Ed. Choral/General Music Education concentration
Certificate in Music Technology: Music education majors who are interested in gaining additional experience with music technology may choose to complete the Certificate in Music Technology.
For a quick look at the various music curricula, please follow this link to see the Music Degree Checklists.
Our graduates enjoy an excellent rate of placement into teaching positions. The B.M./B.S.Ed. program is jointly administered with the College of Education and Allied Professions.