WCU Student Ensembles
Instrumental and vocal ensembles
What’s Going On?
Calendar of Music Events
To be fully admitted into the School of Music as a major or minor, you must:
- Apply to the School. Fill out the Online Application, and click submit .
- Be admitted to Western Carolina University. Note: admission to the University does not guarantee admission to the School of Music.
- Complete a satisfactory live audition for the music faculty. Audition requirements are listed below.
- Submit a letter of reference concerning your prospect for professional study.
- Complete the Music Aptitude/Placement Exam on the audition day or during the first week of classes.
Audition Dates for 2015-2016
- Saturday 28 February 2015
- Friday 6 March 2015
Please make every effort to audition on one of these days. In special circumstances, other dates may be arranged by contacting the School Office at 828-227-7242.
You must audition by 6 March 2015 in order to receive full consideration for admission and scholarships. Many of the studios will be filled after this date, so later auditions may be considered only for entry in subsequent semesters.
Undergraduate Audition Requirements
Please see our Audition Solo List for suggestions in preparing your audition repertoire.
Winds, Brass, and Strings
- Play a prepared solo (accompaniment not required).
- Play scales (as many as possible).
- Sight read.
- Audition on snare, tympani, and marimba (Bring your own mallets and a drum pad for your warm-up.)
- Demonstrate rudiments
- Sight read.
- Download the Audition Requirements for Percussionists (PDF)
1. Play two prepared solos, contrasting in style.
2. Play scales.
3. Sight read.
- Sing two prepared solos from memory. (An accompanist will be provided, or you may bring your own.)
- Demonstrate vocal range.
- Sight read
Jazz & Bass Guitar
- Play prepared solo.
- Play scales, chords, demonstrate improvisational skills, and sight read.
- Download the Audition Requirements for Jazz Guitar (PDF)
Commercial and Electronic Music