Vision and Mission Statements
VISIONThe College of Business will be a leading educator of high-performance, innovative leadership talent who are prepared to meet tomorrow’s business and the region’s evolving development needs.
MISSIONA University of North Carolina campus, Western Carolina University’s College of Business is a leader among schools of business in graduating baccalaureate and masters degree students primarily from the lower Appalachians and the Carolina Piedmont who are Business Ready® to meet the needs of industries, markets and institutions. Graduates will achieve their high-performance and innovative leadership potential through a curriculum emphasizing active learning involving academic studies enhanced by practical experience gained from engagement opportunities with businesses, and economic and community development agencies in the region and beyond.
STATEMENT OF VALUESIn pursuing our mission, the College of Business is committed to the following shared values:
- Integrity, Respect, Ethics, and Trust
- Intellectual Vitality: Passion for and Curiosity about Learning
- Engagement, service and stewardship
- Globalization and innovation
- Diversity, inclusion and leadership
- Teaching, learning and scholarship
- Excellence and continuous improvement
PHILOSOPHYIt is our philosophy that quality faculty who meet high standards in teaching, scholarly activities and service are an absolute requirement in order to achieve this mission.
- In teaching, we adhere to the principles of the University’s QEP program with special emphasis on the impact faculty have on the lives of their students.
- In scholarly activities, we adhere to the Boyer model in defining those activities. There are four categories of scholarship which include:
- Scholarship of Discovery
- Scholarship of Integration
- Scholarship of Application
- Scholarship of Teaching
- Besides the more traditional service venues, faculty service will include work done for the college in helping to establish or further strategic collaborations as well as work done in economic and community development consistent with our mission.