91 Killian Building Lane, Suite 201
Teacher Recruitment, Advising, and Career Support (TRACS)
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.7027 tel
828.227.7610 fax

Art, Music, or Physical Education Alternative Licensure

The Music and Physical Education Programs have been discontinued until further notice. If you are interested in a second degree (BSED) in Music or Physical Education, please visit our School of Teaching and Learning site. Thank you for your interest in Western Carolina University.

Description: The art, music, and physical education licensure programs are offered at the graduate level; qualified students may apply course work towards a Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree. The professional education course requirement is different for each program; the coursework can range between 21-27 hours. Students are expected to have an undergraduate major in the subject of their concentration or a very closely related field. You may also be required to take some pre-requisite courses (0-25 hours) in your content area.

Eligibility: Relevant undergraduate content degree and minimum 2.75 GPA. Complete online Eligibility/Pre-Evaluation form for program approval.  

Results: Recommendation for a K-12 teaching license. 

Instructional Format: Face to face programs.  One full semester of student teaching is required, in the subject & grades of the licensure concentration, and should be fulfilled after all other course work is successfully finished. The internship is not a paid internship. However, lateral entry teachers may complete internship using their own classroom.  

Admission: Rolling admission allows students to begin Spring, Summer, or Fall semester. Music Education students must meet all departmental requirements, including an interview and audition, to be admitted to the graduate teacher certificate program before enrolling in the courses.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services