Thank you for your interest in Western Carolina University’s Center for the Support of Beginning Teacher’s Online Support Program connecting beginning teachers, career teachers, and university faculty.
We know that new teachers want to feel valued personally and professionally and to be a part of a learning community. The online program is about building professional learning communities and providing opportunities for new teachers to form relationships with colleagues outside the constraints of geography.
E-mentors bring the knowledge and skills that come from the wisdom of experience. Together you will welcome WNC first-year teachers to the teaching profession, guide them through many challenges, and inspire them to return.
E-mentor Benefits1. Online e-mentor professional development 2. Stipends: E-mentors will receive stipends according to the number of beginning teachers they mentor. 3. Certificate of participation which can be submitted to your system for consideration for CEUs (check with the appropriate person at your central office for prior approval)
1. Complete e-mentor training (first-time e-mentors). The anticipated time requirement is 10–15 hours/week for two weeks. This online training session focuses on introducing you to the portal, coaching, and exploring strategies for engaging first-year teachers in an online environment.
2. Participate in at least one online mentoring session.
3. Support beginning teachers during their first year of teaching. E-mentors will be matched with beginning teachers by content area or grade level. During online support sessions, e-mentors participate daily and post quality comments a minimum of two¬ to three times each week. You will be reading and responding to prompts and questions; posting and sharing resources; classroom management tips – supporting the first year teachers in your group.
4. Sign a statement of agreement with Western Carolina University’s CSBT.
- Application for new e-mentors
- Application for returning e-mentors
For more information, contact Janice Holt.