Coordinator of Education Admissions
Rachel Wike

Licensure Specialist
Barbara Schade
Phone: 828-227-2000

Associate Dean
Dr. Kim K. Winter
Phone: 828-227-7311

Specific program questions?
Start with these program and subject specialty contacts


Visit WCU

Transfer - Undergraduate

Transfer Orientation 

Teacher and School Professional Licensure


91 Killian Building Lane,
Suite 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.7311 tel
828.227.7388 fax

Transferring/Already have a Degree

Students seeking to transfer to Western Carolina University should contact the Admissions Office.

Undergraduate Transfers
To be admitted to teacher education at Western Carolina University as a transfer student, WCU applies the same criteria for admission as for currently enrolled undergraduate students.  The Admission to Teacher Education requirements are separate, and in addition to, WCU's admission process. 

Community College Transfers
Community College students who graduate with an AA or AS degree in North Carolina will have already satisfied WCU's Liberal Studies requirement. Students who do not graduate from a community college but who have completed the 44-hour general education core will have also satisfied Western’s Liberal Studies requirement.

Western has Articulation Agreements with various community colleges in the region for different teacher education programs.

Graduate and Alternative Licensure Programs
If you have at least a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, you may be eligible to apply to an “alternative entry” licensure program.

Teaching professionals looking for an advanced degree can pursue a Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.) or even a Doctorate in Educational Leadership (Ed.D). For those who qualify, our courses also fulfill a portion of the requirements for a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), allowing you to work toward an advanced degree at the same time you’re completing licensure coursework. 

The information below should be used in conjunction with the university catalog and regular communication with your advisor to plan and monitor your progress in the program.

Planning your academic program:

Electronic Portfolio
Teacher Work Sample

Early Field Experiences
Early Field Experiences involve observation, tutoring, service learning, teaching and other activities in public schools.

Internships & Student Teaching
All candidates, regardless of program, must complete an internship or student teaching experience in order to be recommended for North Carolina licensure.

Praxis II and Pearson Tests
Teacher and School Professional Licensure


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services