WCU's School Code: 5897
In order for us to receive your Praxis scores, you must designate WCU as a score recipient by using our 5897 school code.
What are the Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST) and Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests?
PPST stands for Pre-Professional Skills Tests and is also referred to as Praxis I: Academic Skills Tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The tests are designed to evaluate the academic skills needed to prepare for a career in education. The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests, referred to as Praxis Core, also measure critical thinking and academic skills in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics and will be available September 1, 2013. WCU will permit our teacher education candidates to take either series until the new Core Academic Skills tests become the only option on July 31, 2014. Note that although the test numbers for the PPST are no longer listed as a NC requirement on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website, you may still register for them by using the following test numbers: 0710 Reading, 0720 Writing ,and 0730 Math. Computer delivered test numbers are preceded by the number "5".
Candidates cannot combine tests from the Praxis Core and Praxis I PPST series in order to meet the combined cut scores.
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified are required to take the Praxis I tests to demonstrate their qualifications. The State Board of Education sets minimum scores that must be met for admission to teacher education.
Students who already hold a four year degree and are seeking a second degree or licensure-only certification are not required to fulfill this requirement.
Test Score Requirements
PPST Praxis I
A combined Praxis I (PPST) score of 522 meets the Praxis I requirement. If individual test scores do not meet each requirement above, a combined score of 522 satisfies the requirement.
Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators
A combined Praxis Core score of 468 meets the Praxis I requirement. If individual test scores do not meet each requirement above, a combined score of
468 satisfies the requirement.
Moreover, individuals with a total SAT score of 1100 (Verbal and Quantitative only) are exempt from Praxis I testing requirements for teacher education program admission.
- Individuals with a total SAT score of less than 1100, but a score of at least 550 on the Verbal test are exempt from Praxis I in Reading and Writing.
- Individuals with a total SAT score of less than 1100, but a score of at least 550 on the Math test are exempt from Praxis I in Mathematics.
Likewise, individuals with a composite ACT score of 24 are exempt from Praxis I testing requirements for teacher education program admission.
- Individuals with a composite ACT score of less than 24, but with a score of at least 24 on the English are exempt from Praxis I in Reading and Writing.
- Individuals with a composite ACT score of less than 24, but a score of at least 24 on the Math test are exempt from Praxis I in Mathematics.
Registering for Tests
Note that in order for us to receive your Praxis scores, you must designate WCU as
a score recipient by using our 5897 school code.
Both series of tests are administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The PPST Praxis I can be completed in either a paper-delivered or computer-delivered format at scheduled times during the year. To register for the paper-delivered test, go to http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/paper/ .
Computer-delivered tests are given year round by appointment by calling Educational Testing Service at 800.772.9476 or registering online at http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/computer . The Praxis Core tests are only offered in this format. The computer-based testing center closest to WCU is the Prometric Testing Center in Asheville.
Prometric Testing Center
31 College Place
Building D, Suite 107
Asheville, NC 28801
- Free and priced test preparation materials (print & ebook study guides, tutorials, webinars, strategies and tips) can be found through Educational Testing Service by selecting Prepare for a Test.
- Free Praxis Test Preparation Webinar Video (Flash, 11 min, 49 sec.) for teacher candidates preparing to take a Praxis test. This on-demand video gives candidates a perfect starting place for their test preparation and can be viewed online at their own convenience.
- Study Companions are being introduced in stages to cover over 130 Praxis tests and are available for select titles. They will be available for each Praxis test by July 2013. Visit http://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials to find the new Study Companions, Interactive Practice Tests (IPTs), and all official Praxis test preparations materials.