Graduate and Alternative Licensure Programs

Teaching professionals looking for an advanced degree can pursue a Master of Arts in Education (M.A.Ed.) (with specialties in such areas as art, biology,  English, social sciences, and special education) or even a Doctorate (Ed. D.) in Educational Leadership.

Not looking for a whole new degree? Consider these other paths leading to teacher licensure.

If you have at least a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, you may be eligible to apply to an “alternative entry” licensure programs such as a Licensure-Only Program, developed individually based on your previous experience and education; a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), which leads non-teaching specialists to an advanced degree; and WCU's alternative licensure program that also brings candidates part way to the MAT degree.

Out of state applicants need to visit WCU's Applicants Outside NC webpage to determine eligibility for online degree or certificate program or individual online course offered.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services