To apply for your initial or “A” level license upon completion of your Lateral Entry Licensure-Only Program, Phase 1 of your MAT, or your entire MAT degree program, please complete and submit the following to the CEAP licensure specialist:
Forms and Payment
- Form A - Application for a North Carolina License for use by first time licensure applicants. Statement of Applicant section must include handwritten signature.
- Form U - Licensure Update for use by individuals clearing a lateral entry or provisional license. Fill in personal information (top three lines) and Statement of Applicant section, including handwritten signature. WCU will complete middle section and CEAP Associate Dean will sign as Superintendent or Designee.
- Form V - Verification by Institution. Complete top three lines only.
- LEA/IHE Certification of Teaching Capacity (CTC) - The CTC is completed at the end of Student Teaching/Internship by student, cooperating teacher, university supervisor, principal, and academic supervisor, if applicable. The original document is submitted to the Office of Field Experience, usually by your University Supervisor. Your license application cannot be sent to the Department of Public Instruction without this document.
- If you are a lateral entry teacher and are substituting paid teaching (one year of full-time teaching in the area of licensure) for student teaching/internship, the LEA/IHE Certification of Teaching Capacity (CTC) is replaced by your principal submitting our CEAP Verification of Teaching Experience form and your satisfactory summative evaluation instrument used by your school demonstrating a level of proficient or higher in each of the NC Professional Teaching Standards. Birth through Kindergarten lateral entry teachers working with the EESLPD need to have the CEAP Verification of Teaching Experience form signed by Cindy Wheeler and the evaluation can be signed by your mentor. Any lateral entry teaching experience used instead of participating in a semester long student teaching or internship placement needs to be within the three (3) year period prior to when you apply for licensure. Contact the CEAP licensure specialist if you are unsure if these options apply to you.
- A DPI processing fee is also required in order to submit your application packet, see Payments and Mailing Instructions.
- Licensure Exam Scores – Submit original or legible, unaltered copies of qualifying Praxis II and/or Pearson score(s), if applicable, with your application paperwork to the CEAP licensure specialist. Both Praxis II and Pearson qualifying scores are required for a Special Education: General Curriculum license. Be sure to confirm NC state testing requirements before you register for a test.
- Transcripts - click here to review requirements. The CEAP licensure specialist will take care of your WCU trancript(s). All other transcripts should be sent directly to the CEAP licensure specialist.
- Optional Form E - DPI Verification of Teaching Experience forms — both professional educator and teaching assistant—can be completed if you have prior K-12 experience, one for each former employer. If applicable, mail this form along with license application materials to the CEAP licensure specialist to avoid additional DPI licensing fees.