Barbara Schade, Licensure Specialist
1 University Way, Suite 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723
828.227.2000 tel
828.227.7388 fax

91 Killian Bldg Lane, Ste 201
Cullowhee, NC 28723

Teacher and School Professional Licensure

The Licensure Section of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (DPI) is responsible for examining credentials and issuing licenses that qualify individuals to seek employment as teachers, administrators, and other special service personnel in North Carolina public schools. 

All professional employees in public schools must hold a license for the subject or grade level they teach or for the professional education assignment that they hold.  The DPI licensure process may take 40-60 business days.  DPI can be reached at 800.577.7994 or by email  When emailing, please include your full name and last four digits of your social security number.

Select your specific license area below.  If you have questions after reviewing the instructions, contact the College of Education and Allied Profession’s (CEAP) licensure specialist, Barbara Schade.

First NC Teaching License


Alternative Routes to

Teacher Licensure

To apply for your initial or "A" level
teaching license after completion of
your BSED or BS degree for BK majors. 

        To apply for your licensure-only
certification, MAT master's license, or
to clear a lateral entry or provisional license.

School Administrators 


Add-on Certification Programs

To apply for your principal or
superintendent license (MSA &
EDD Educational Leadership P-12).
            To apply for your AIG or Post Master's 
Public School Leadership certification.

Special Services Personnel


Updating your Advanced

Degree Licensure

To apply for your School Counseling,
School Psychologist, Speech-Language
Pathologist, or School Social Work license.

      To upgrade your license by adding
educational levels to an existing license.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services