The university supervisor is responsible for communicating university expectations to the WCU student and cooperating teacher. The university supervisor supports the development of the student by observing, providing feedback, and maintaining open communication with the student, cooperating teacher, academic supervisor, liaison, principal, and Director of Field Experiences as needed.
University supervisors generally visit students three times during Internship I and five times during Internship II or student teaching. When considered necessary, additional visits must be preapproved by the Director of Field Experiences.
For distance and online candidates, these observations are conducted via the streaming of live video or other technology-mediated instruction from the placement site while the intern is engaged in teaching. Interactions between the university supervisor and the cooperating teacher are accomplished via telephone, email, and/or video conference.
Orientation and Training
Program Specific Requirements
- Elementary Education Intern I and Intern II
- Middle Grades Intern I and Intern II
- HPE Intern I and Intern II
- Secondary & Specialty Education - Intern I
- Secondary & Specialty Education - Intern II/ST
Forms & Checklists
- Internship I Syllabus Template
- Intern I - Initial Meeting Checklist
- Video Evaluation & Reflection
- Mid-Term Evaluation
- Final Evaluation
- Intern I Grade Sheet
- Internship I University Supervisor Checklist (doc)
Intern II/Student Teaching
- Intern II/ST - Initial Meeting Checklist
- Mid-term Certification of Teaching Capacity
- Final Certification of Teaching Capacity
- Intern II/ST Grade Sheet
- Internship II University Supervisor Checklist (doc)