The Application Deadline for Spring 2014 is 5pm Friday, September 13, 2013.
Some programs have an earlier deadline to allow time for application approvals. Check with your advisor.
Orientation Sessions for Residential Program Students:
- Tuesday, August 27 8am-9am in Killian 102
- Wednesday, August 28 noon to 1pm in Killian 102
- Thursday, August 29 5:30pm - 6:30pm in Killian 102
To be eligible for Internship/Student Teaching/SPED Practicum you must:
- Be fully admitted into the Teacher Education Program prior to application.
- UNDERGRADUATES ONLY must also complete the Praxis I requirement and have completed ENGL 202 (Composition 2) with a grade of C or better (C- does not count) prior to application. If currently in ENGL 202 with a reasonable explanation of the delay in taking the class, see the Director of Field Experiences prior to the deadline.
- Complete any Specific Program Requirements.
- Complete all parts of the application process by the deadline.
ALL students should review our liability insurance policy.
Application Requirements - for all Candidates (Spring 2014 applications)
Do NOT contact school/teacher prior to receiving placement confirmation
IF YOU ARE NOT EMPLOYED in the classroom where you will be assigned, please complete the following:
Submitted via TaskStream:
- Log in.
- Go to (your program) initial licensure portfolio folder and select the internship application. If this is not visible, contact Lee Nickles at 828-227-3299 or email@example.com to have it added to your account. If emailing - include "TaskStream" in subject line as he answers these first.
- Attach Background Check dated during spring semester 2013 using Certifiedbackground.com. Review Background Check Policy for instructions and package codes. This takes 3-5 business days or longer. Costs are the responsibility of the student.
- If there is ANYTHING in your past background check you will need to electronically attach a Microsoft Word document explanation. Check with the Director of Field Experiences ahead of time to see if you will need to submit additional court documentation. Waiting can slow down your placement.
- Attach a Microsoft Word résumé that includes contact information for three references and has been checked by Career Services. Recommended template here. Do remember to add position and full contact information for three professional references. Do NOT mention a specific school, school system or region in your objective statement.
- Fill out the online TaskStream Electronic Information Form with your school preference information and verifications. Attach required electronic documents to this TaskStream form.
- Once everything is complete hit the "Submit" button in the upper right hand corner and submit to "CEAP Master".
ALL hardcopy forms must be turned in together or they will not be accepted. Please submit these after you have completed the TaskStream portion - but before the deadline.
- Application Form (pdf) (also found on TaskStream)
- Degree Audit from My Cat for degree seeking students - this is for your advisor.
Buncombe County (not Asheville City) Applicants Only!
Once your placement is made complete the following:
- Internship/Student Teaching Agreement (pdf)
- A Health Certificate (pdf) submit to the school principal on the first day of the Internship/Student Teaching unless requested by the district central office sooner.
- Full time residential students can complete the required physical at the WCU Student Health Center - be certain to take your form with you. Since the TB test takes a few days to read, call far ahead to schedule.
IF YOU ARE EMPLOYED in the classroom where you will be assigned, please complete the following:
Hard Copies Only - No TaskStream:
ALL hardcopy forms must be turned in together or they will not be accepted.
Other school systems may have additional requirements. Candidates are responsible for meeting these requirements and for any additional costs involved.