If you have the desire and the ability to do graduate-level work, we are committed to helping you earn your master's degree in School Administration or pursuing your post master’s certificate in Public School Licensure at Western Carolina University. There's no time like the present to get the ball rolling! By following a few simple steps you will soon be on your way to earning the degree of your dreams.
To be admitted to WCU’s Master’s of School Administration (MSA) and/or Post Master’s Certificate in Public School Leadership (PMC-PSL) program, you must have:
- Three years (five years preferred) of successful full-time teaching (under a Class A license or equivalent). Other Teaching experience may be considered, but will be the exception.
- People not currently working in a public school building must acquire the support of a licensed principal mentor in a public school for course embedded field and internship activities.
- Hold or be eligible to hold a North Carolina Class A teaching license or a comparable license from another state.
- Satisfactory GRE scores on the verbal and math portions and the writing portion (preferred 40th percentile and above). Alternatively, applicants may submit a Miller's Anthology Test score (preferred 40th percentile). The GRE/MAT scores may be waived with a doctoral degree from an accredited university in an educationally related field. For PMC-PSL applicants, there is no expiration date for when the test was taken.
- Obtain three satisfactory letters of recommendation (at least one must be from your
- Satisfactory undergraduate (MSA only) GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Hold a Master's Degree in education or a related field (Certificate only) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
Application deadlines are July 1 and November 1. Accepted students can begin the program in the Fall or Spring terms. Follow the steps below to apply:
Step 1: Access and complete the online Application Form to the Graduate School.
Step 2: Download and distribute Recommendations Forms (PDF) to three references.
Step 3: Request all official transcripts be mailed directly to the Graduate School:
110 Cordelia Camp Building
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723
Step 5: Have the district verification form completed by the county personnel director or his/her representative. After completion, the form should be printed, signed by the official, returned to the candidate, and uploaded as a PDF file to Apply Yourself in the "Additional Documents"section.