Office Address: Reid Gym 122I
- Ph.D., Parks and Recreation, University of Minnesota
- M.S., Experiential Education, Mankato State University
- B.S., Business Administration, Mankato State University
Campus outdoor recreation; recreational use of public lands; recreation programs for youth-at-risk; anxiety and performance in adventure recreation; impacts of crowding on public lands.
- Association of National Park Rangers
- North Carolina Recreation and Parks Association
- Association of Experiential Education
- National Ski Patrol
- National Recreation and Parks Association
Dr. Tholkes teaches core courses in the Parks and Recreation Management Program, including “Foundations of Parks and Management,” “Outdoor Recreation,” “Outdoor Emergency Care,” “Land-based Outdoor Pursuits,” and “Senior Seminar.”
Prior to completing his Ph.D., he worked for a number of years as a National Park Service ranger and a professional ski patrol. In addition to his teaching duties, he also volunteers in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and at Sapphire Valley Ski Area.