FAQ Advisee List

How do students get on my Advisee List?

Department heads are responsible for assigning advisees to their faculty. A change-of-major form sent to the Registrar's Office initiates advisor changes, but changes are also made by departments sending lists to the Registrar's Office (when faculty members retire or leave the university).

How do students get off my Advisee List?

Names are removed from Advisee Lists when the department sends a change-of-major form to the Registrar's Office or when the student's record becomes inactive. Student records become inactive. Student records become inactive when they apply for graduation or are not enrolled for three consecutive terms.

What if the student has two academic programs?

If the student declares a second program they will remain your advisee. The department owning the second program will need to assign an advisor for their program. Even though the system permits multiple advisors to be assigned to a student, the system only allows one advisor to be designated as primary. Primary advisors are indicated by an asterisk (*) in the Advisor Type column.

Can I have a student's name removed for my Advisee List?

Departments may request that the Registrar's Office remove or switch students when their programs change or when a faculty member retires or leaves the university. If you find errors in lists, your department should notify the Registrar's Office to have the changes made.

How do I interpret the New Enrollment Indicator?

The enrollment indicator gives a quick visual indicator of whether or not a student has registered. The indicator evaluates five terms -- the term of interest, two previous terms, and two future terms. The x's represent enrollment and the tilde's (~) represent non-enrollment. The term of interest (usually the current term) is in the center and contains a capital X if there is enrollment in that term.

The Enrollment Indicator for some of my advisees show five terms of non-enrollment. Why are they on my list?

These students are most likely newly-admitted students or readmits who have not yet registered. Readmits may need to get their Alt-Pins from you if they are in a population that requires an Alt-Pin in order to register. New freshman and new transfer students will be advised and receive their Alt-Pins through the orientation process. (Effective Fall 2010, orientation became required for all new students and transfer students.)

Why do I not see any Alt-Pins on my Advisee List?

Verify that you are looking at the right term. We remove Alt-Pins from old terms to prevent them from being given out accidently.

How do I interpret the Graduation Indicator?

If the student has applied to graduate in the term selected or in a future term the graduation indicator will be populated. Term and status are displays. The "good" statuses are: AP - applied to graduate, C1 - cleared first check, C2 - cleared second check, AW - awarded. The system clears students automatically based on their degree audit. Second check does not occur until after the registration for the term ends. Other statuses indicate problems that require advisor interaction to fix.

What does the S/P column indicate?

Suspension and Probation.

My [Email Advisees] button does not work. It generates an error. Whom should I tell?

A malformed mail address will caused the button to fail. Call or email the IT Client Services Help Desk.


Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services