Application for Graduation Process

Note:  Before you apply follow the steps below: 

1. Meet with your advisor to make certain that you register for your final courses.  You may determine these final courses by reviewing your degree audit.  Additionally, your advisor can also access the degree audit.  The audit can be accessed at anytime through MyCat.  Make certain that you “Generate a new audit” each time you view it.  This will show you the most up-to-date version.  Be sure to check your “Degree Detail” and your “Additional Information” as well. 
2. When you register for all of your final classes, your audit will be BLUE. If your audit indicates any red, such as in the course work, the GPA, or the required hours, you must consult with your advisor to resolve these issues.  A red audit will not keep you from applying for graduation however, it will keep you from graduating.  Please Note:  (I or IP graded) course(s) do not show up on the audit until the incomplete(I) or in progress(IP) grade is removed.   If your department employs the use of a “curriculum check sheet(s),” it is your responsibility to make certain that what you are taking on the check sheet matches your degree audit.  If it does not, your advisor will need to submit course substitutions to the Registrar’s Office to fulfill the requirements on the audit.   

Please Note: 
To apply for graduation, undergraduates must have a cumulative total of 84 earned hours and graduates 15 earned hours.
You will need to sign into your MyCat account and click on “Personal Services” and then on “Student Records”.  At the bottom of the Student Records page you will see the tab “Application for Graduation”.  Click on the link and follow the steps.  Submitting this application will generate a $60 graduation fee to your account.  You will need to pay it and any other outstanding balances in full prior to requesting Official WCU transcripts.   Please Note:  When you are filling out your diploma address information, please use a physical address to assure correct delivery of your diploma.   You may choose exactly how you want your name to be printed however, keep in mind that the diploma is an official document.  If you need assistance in the graduation application process, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 828-227-7216 or email

Transfer and Distance Students – read carefully.

If you are an undergraduate distance student, or are opting to take transfer course(s) or study abroad course(s) your final semester before graduating, there are some important things you need to know.  Many course(s) taken off campus are on a different schedule from WCU.  We have deadlines for conferral that have to be met therefore, any transfer work not received by the deadline will cause your degree conferral to be deferred until the next term.  This is usually 2-3 weeks after the graduation ceremony.  Please request your off-campus transcripts to be sent in a timely manner.  Also, transfer work is not indicated on the audit until final transcripts are received and posted from the visiting institution.  Additionally, those students taking coursework at another accredited US Institution, or Study Abroad, you will need to complete the (Transfer Credit in the Graduating Semester Form) located at under “Forms & Resources.”  The form will allow your graduation application to move forward until you can submit your final transcripts. Additionally, if you are taking a course to meet a specific requirement, you need to complete the (Transient Permission Form)   located at under “Forms & Resources” to insure that the course work you take will transfer in for the credit necessary to complete the requirements on your audit.  The form should be completed by you AND your advisor and is not to be confused with the “Transfer Work in the Graduating Semester Form.”  Students doing Study Abroad, please make certain that you fill out all necessary paperwork with the Office of International Programs and Services.  It should also be noted that transfer work cannot be used to raise your WCU GPA or to replace a previously taken WCU course for which credit was earned.  Please Note:  Only work passed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better may be transferred.   

Next  >> Graduating with Honors



Copyright by Western Carolina University      •      Cullowhee, NC 28723      •      828.227.7211      •      Contact WCU
Maintained by the Office of Web Services      •      Directions      •      Campus Map      •      Emergency Information      •      Text-Only

Office of Web Services