Careers in Hospitality and Tourism
Bachelor of Science Degree in
Hospitality and Tourism
What jobs are available?
Hotel and resort management, Catering and restaurant management and food preparation, Private or public recreation management, Travel planning, Event/entertainment planning, Convention services, Marketing, Sales, Human resources, Travel writing, Visitor and tourism bureaus.
Who employs Hospitality & Tourism majors?
- Hotels, resorts, private/public clubs
- Restaurants, food services, caterers
- Large corporations
- Federal/state parks, theme parks
- Civic centers, professional sports and the entertainment industry
- Schools, hospitals
- Marketing companies
- Recreation and leisure groups
- Airlines, cruise companies, car rental and travel agencies
- Tourism offices
Good skills or traits for Hospitality & Tourism majors:
- Excellent organization skills and attention to details.
- Learn etiquette and social customs.
- Imaginative and creative in solving problem.
- Ability to meet deadlines, even during periods of great stress.
- Enjoy working with a wide variety of people.
- Be willing to work long or unusual hours and on holidays.
- Good communications and excellent customer service skills.
Special training, degrees or experience I may need:
- Do an internship, co-op or summer job to gain experience in your specialty.
- Work on-campus with food service or summer conferences with Continuing Education.
- Master's degree is required for community college teaching and advancement in industry and government.
- Ph.D. is required for advanced research or teaching positions in colleges and universities and senior positions in government.
- Get experience in budgeting, supervising others and using computers.
Websites to visit: